Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Holyhead Hotspur app


First Team - Match centre

Denbigh Town
Holyhead Hotspur
Fri 23 Nov 19:30 - Huws Gray Alliance League - Huws Gray Alliance Full time Attendance 80



Denbigh Town v Holyhead Hotspur Friday 23rd November, 2018

Two red cards for keeper Carl Jones and right back Dan Mc Ginniss in added time added insult to injury in Holyhead Hotspur’s ninth defeat in thirteen outings keeping them rock bottom of the league table after another disappointing result at Denbigh Town on Friday night 23rd November in a fixture billed as ‘a six pointer’ between two basement teams now nearly half way through the season.
After going ahead via spot kick from Marc Evans just after the half hour mark the hosts drew level just before the break through substitute Sam Jones who had come on when Denbigh’s keeper Craig Vernon injured himself in the penalty incident and had to go off and was replaced by outfield defender Lewis Sirrell for the rest of the game.
However Hotspur failed to take advantage of this change and the stand in keeper was put under no pressure by Hotspur’s attackers who stood by as he collected the ball so easily time after time. Hotspur’s lack of penetration and know how was so evident which sends alarm bells ringing to the faithful supporters!
The second half started at a good pace nip and tuck until the hosts went ahead on the hour and although piling on the pressure to get back on terms a bad miss on 90 minutes summed up Hotspur’s lack of fire power. It proved costly as in added time the hosts added a third when captain Tony Davies looked to be kept out by Kenleigh Owen (Hotspur’s turn to have a stand in outfield player between the sticks) but the goal stood although the assistant told the referee otherwise. This was symptomatic of probably the worst display by a referee seem for many a year. It was the same assistant who influenced the referee to red card Carl Jones for a needless display of indiscipline which led to Owen’s custodian role a few minutes earlier, while in heated moments over the controversial goal from the penalty spot Hotspur defender Dan Mc Ginniss also was shown a red with the game ending in chaos!!
Hotspur can ill afford to lose players like this especially with a real test coming this weekend when Hotspur travel to Airbus Broughton who top the league, and on the following Friday taking the short trip to Nantporth and Bangor City in the 3rd Round of the Welsh Cup December 7th.
The goal were on
32 Denbigh Town full back Dan Lloyd sold his keeper short and Marc Evans nipped in only to be brought down. Penalty converted by Evans
38 A dangerous ball into the goalmouth saw Carl Jones do well to clear away from under the cross bar however substitute Sam Jones was not picked up and he fired low into the corner fro a real poacher’s goal
Half Time 1 -1
64 Strong home pressure in Hotspur’s penalty area as the ball ping ponged around coming to Jordan Barrow and his cross into the box was punched out and came to Pat Hinchliffe whose volley went through a crowd of players with Jones having no clear sight of the ball
90 plus 4 Hotspur stand in keeper Kenleigh Owen saved the ball from a Tony Davies spot kick but did the ball go over the live not according to Martin Trigg the assistant!! Who was better sighted than referee Mark James!!
Gareth M Davies

Team selection

Holyhead Hotspur

League round up

Other Huws Gray Alliance results

Prestatyn Town
Buckley Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Gresford Athletic 30 39
11. Conwy Borough 30 36
12. Llanrhaeadr YM 30 32
13. Penrhyncoch 30 30
14. Holywell Town 30 30
15. Denbigh Town 30 29
16. Holyhead Hotspur 30 19

Team sponsors


Club sponsors