Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Holyhead Hotspur app


First Team - Match centre

Holyhead Hotspur
Sat 16 Feb 14:30 - Huws Gray Alliance League - Huws Gray Alliance Full time Attendance 259



Porthmadog v Holyhead Hotspur Saturday 16 th February 2019

Two goals one in each half by Port’s Simon Edwards and Iwan Lewis were enough
to seal the hosts three points at the Traeth on Saturday. However once again for
the umpteenth time this campaign Darren Garmey’s men had enough of the
game to have returned with a positive result but as has been the story so many
times this season they failed to punish their opponents when opportunities arose
and therefore suffered the consequences.
The Traeth side with four former Holyhead Hotspur players on their starting line
up with Paul Pritchard in goal and he came to the rescue of the back and reds on a
number of occasions with brave interventions while another Jay Gibbs had control
of the mid field.
Hopes weer high the the Holy Islanders could have carried on from the previous
week’s exploits against Bangor City in reaching the final of the Huws Gray Alliance
league cup but again league form suffered and all the effort was to no avail.
Hotspur have not looked a basement side often this season but the league table
does not lie and it is goals and points that determine your fate.
Guilsfield from mid Wales come calling this weekend and with eight games to go
in the league let’s hope an opportunity to gain some valuable points.
Hotspur quick off the blocks in the first minute and when the ball was switched
from left to right and in the goal mouth was Chris Jones who shot just wide. At the
other end Gruff John Williams also shot just wide. On 17 Sean Cavanagh was cleat
just one on one but shot wide and the same players was brought down just
outside the box and the free kick again shot wide. Hotspur beginning to get in the
game but on 22 Port went ahead when the ball was played into Simon Edwards 15
yards out and his shot went into the far bottom corner. On the half hour Mel Mc
Ginniss beat Paul Pritchard to the ball passing to John Littlemore and the keeper
did well to grab the ball on the ground and dispossess him as a goal looked on.
The keeper again excelled on 35 when a cross from Kenleigh Owen on the left was

met by Mel Mc Ginniss but his header was saved by Pritchard. Hotspur well in the
match at the break Half Time 1 – 0
Hotspur out with a purpose in the second half and on 54 Dan Mc Ginniss was
played in on the right but Paul Pritchard made a fine block. At this stage Hotspur
on top but unable to get the break through they deserved and on 62 another
chance went begging as a cross from the right found John Littlemore in front of
goal but his header lacked conviction as first Pritchard and then a defender
hacked the ball off the line. Hotspur were to rue their lack of penetration when on
65 Port went two up with such a simple goal via a cross from Rob Evans on the
right finding Iwan Lewis who calmly shot low to Carl Jones right. Hotspur
continued to stroke the ball around well and hard working Mel Mc Ginniss twice
went near while back at the other end Carl Jones saved wll from Julian Williams.
Manager Garmey put on his subs to try to change the outcome but without

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Huws Gray Alliance results

Buckley Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Gresford Athletic 30 39
11. Conwy Borough 30 36
12. Llanrhaeadr YM 30 32
13. Penrhyncoch 30 30
14. Holywell Town 30 30
15. Denbigh Town 30 29
16. Holyhead Hotspur 30 19

Team sponsors


Club sponsors