1 October
Share via

Holyhead Hotspur v Holyhead Town Saturday 28 th September, 2019

Darren Garmey’s Holyhead Hotspur side progressed into the next round of the
FAW Welsh Cup, and even though local rivals Holyhead Town (who are a league
lower than their Fist division Welsh Alliance league opponents) were competitive
throughout. Hotspur were always in control and well worth the two goal margin
between the teams at the end.
The tie itself was the talk of the town and the unique occasion saw a marvelous
turnout of 761 vocal spectators who made it a a great occasion to savour.
With the strong wind in their favour in the first half the ‘Harbourmen’ had a lot of
possession but it was Hotspur who took the lead after 5 minutes via captain Alex
Jones. Rob Jones increased the lead on the half hour only for Gary Jo Owen (via a
soft penalty) to pull one back a few minutes before the break. The next goal
would be all important and it was Kenleigh Owen who provided it for the hosts
not long after the restart. Town had a couple of good opportunities to reduce the
deficit but were off target and the home side then comfortably played the game
out passing safely into the next round.
Hotspur took the lead after just five minutes when a perfectly flighted free kick by
Kenleigh Owen wide on the left was met by an unmarked Alex Jones who
powered his header into the bottom right had side of the goal with Town keeper
Mike Bentley rooted on his goal line and no defender covering the goal post. On
21 Kenleigh Owen shot through a ruck of players and the ball was hacked off the
line, while at the other end straight away Asa Thomas was through but dragged
his shot wide of the far post. Both sides had other chances but on 30 minutes a
deep cross to the far post by Kenleigh Owen found its way to Rob Jones who lifted
the ball high into the net. Just after Dewi Thomas was put through by Rob Jones
but his rasping shot struck the post with Town keeper well beaten.

On 41 the competitive town pulled one back when Alex Jones fouled Gary Jo
Owen dusted himself off and shot home the resultant spot kick Half Time 2 – 1.
On 47 a Town corner was missed by Hotspur keeper Carl Jones but Tom Roberts
was unable to convert a good chance shooting wide of the goal. Town would rue
that miss as on 50 minutes that man Kenleigh Owen again was superbly fed on
the left by Dean Garmey who had advanced some 30 yards into the town half,
KCO beat his defender and produced a bullet type effort beating Mike Bentley
with style and making it three for Hotspur.
Hotspur now with the wind at their backs took control and could have added to
the score line while Town also kept going and can be pleased with their efforts
although second best.

Share via