14 August
Share via

Holyhead Hotspur v Mynydd Llandegai Tuesday 13 th August, 2019

Gareth M Davies

After starting their Welsh Alliance Division 1 campaign on ‘cloud nine’ with a 9 -2
pasting of Prestatyn Sports last Saturday Darren Garmey’s Holyhead Hotspur
continued to aim ‘high’ again on Tuesday evening at the New Stadium with a 5 -1
demolition of Mynydd Llandegai which shows intentions early on for a quick
return to the second tier of Welsh football pyramid after last season’s relegation.
On the evidence of the first two games ( and it’s a marathon not a sprint) they are
perhaps one of the favourities for the title and while Mynydd Llangedai showed
customary spirit the hosts were a class apart and at the end could have added
more to their total.
Hotspur showed their intentions early on coming close to opening the scoring via
Kenleigh Owen and Chris Jones and it was no surprise when they took the lead
after 20 minutes – Dewi Thomas producing some intricate approach play
threading the ball through to Harry Lewis on the left who found the far corner
with a clinical finish. The visitors in lively fashion tried to respond and Andrew
barker flashed wildly over from a good position on the half hour. A minute later it
was 2 -0 to the home side when poacher turned provider Harry Lewis on the right
crossed perfectly for Robert Jones in acres of space to nod home past keeper Nick
Bould (half time 2 -0)
Hotspur wasted no time adding to their score a couple of minutes into the second
half to put the result beyond ‘reasonable’ doubt when Lewis on the right was
again involved in setting up Robert Jones for his brace when he fired high into the
roof of the net giving Bould no chance to make it three. Dewi Thomas and
Kenleigh Owen followed with good efforts but the visitors did reduce the deficit
on the hour for the ‘Hogia Llandegai’ via a right sided cross from Osian Jones into
the path of Andrew Baker who shot low past Carl Jones.
However the hosts upped the tempo again and notched number four on 70
minutes when Chris Jones improvised on the ground after the ball had initially
struck the post. Hotspur in ‘cruise control’ with the defence (again missing Alex

Jones) doing well to snuff out any quick break threats. Hotspur rammed home
their superiority on 80 minutes when a cross from the left found the head of Chris
Jones to beat the keeper and make it ‘high fives’ all round.
It left a very convincing score line to send a real message to the other teams in
this league.
Gareth M Davies

Share via