11 February
Share via

Holyhead Hotspur v Bangor City Friday 8th February 2019

In a match in the ‘I was there category’ which was in there amongst the best
Darren Garmey’s team might be struggling at the bottom end of the table but
when it comes to the League Cup competition they just come alive which it was
against Bangor City last Friday night in a pulsating semi-final clash at the New
Seven out of the twelve goals and even more near misses at both ends earned
Hotspur a League final appearance against top of the table Airbus Broughton later
in the season and a chance for third time lucky after being losing finalists in 2007
and 2009.
Goal s by John littlemore with a hat trick, Chris Jones, Tom Clarke and Dan and
Mel Mc Ginniss (the latter two out of the top drawer)on target for the Holy
Islanders while Gary Fletcher Tylor a brace, Rob Parry, Jacob Fairleigh and Dylan
Summer Jones scored for the men across the Menai Straits.
Played in near gale force conditions all the more credit to the two teams and the
officials for making it such a memorable game.
The semi final ebbed and flowed throughout but when Bangor City took a two
goal lead against the elements in the first half hour there was no hint of the
amazing drama five minutes before the break when Hotspur turned it around to
lead 3 -2 at the interval with three goals in that period. The hosts went 4 -2 in
front before the troubled Citizens drew level in the ninety minutes which saw
extra time with Hotspur adding three more to Bangor’s one and the home fans in
It will be hoped this will inspire new found confidence from this result for the rest
of the season and at Porthmadog next Saturday.
Nip and tuck from the start but Hotspur struggling to take advantage of the wind
in their favour and on 23 minutes the visitors went ahead when Alex Boss found
Rob Parry who struck the ball sweetly past home custodian Carl Jones. It looked

plain sailing for the visitors when Jacob Fairleigh made it 0 -2 on 31 when he was
given far too room cutting in from the right hand side. Hotspur needed something
before the break but no one saw three coming the first after a combined passing
movement and John Littlemore’s shot low to keeper Nathan Welland’s right. He
added a second a few minutes later after his far post header was deflected past
the keeper by a defender and to cap it all Chris Jones blasted a third past a
stunned Bangor keeper to put the hosts in the ascendancy at half time 3 -2.
Hotspur were looking confident (not always the case this season) and John
Littlemore made 4 -2 and his hat trick on 53 when he looped a shot over the
advancing keeper who had firstly blocked his shot. However Bangor came back
into it on 56 when Carl Jones spilled a shot and Gary Fletcher Taylor pounced to
pull a goal back. City were pressing hard with the wind and after Jones had clawed
a ball away from the angle of post and bar the ball fell to Fletcher Taylor who
made no mistake to square the score.
Extra time brought its own drama when on 102 Dan Mc Ginniss brought the
ground to its feet with a 35 yard stunning strike leaving Nathan Welland helpless
a goal to savour. Bangor failed to clear the ball and Tom Clarke up with the attack
took advantage to score but on 110 Mel Mc Ginniss made a superb run from his
own half and slotted the ball comfortably past the Bangor keeper making the
score 7 -4. In the added time Dylan Summer Jones scored one for Bangor.
Truly a night to remember for Holyhead Hotspur and their fans.

Share via