Sat 20
First Team
T Clarke (3'), M McGuiness (42'), A Hughes-Jones (65'), M Evans (86')


Share via

Holyhead Hotspur v Corwen Saturday 20th October, 2018

Darren Garmey’s Holyhead Hotspur side continued their improved form of late with a well deserved Welsh Cup success over ‘battling’ Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) leaders Corwen who made the Holy Islanders work hard to progress in Round 2 of the Welsh Cup. After the manager said after the game ‘I am happy with the win and getting into the next round as we are now putting it together up front with new signings Marc Evans and Aron Hughes Jones making us look sharp, but we must stop leaking soft goals’.
With the wind in their favour Hotspur took an early lead via Tomos Clark and doubled it from Mel Mc Ginness before the break. The second half began with the at times over physical visitors reducing the deficit 4 minutes after the restart by striker Sam Henry, but Hotspur got an all important third through debutant Aron Hughes Jones who looks promising.
However Corwen pulled a goal back from the penalty spot to make it game on once again with a second from Henry, but it was game set and match for the hosts when Marc Evans got a superb fourth and hopefully a good draw in the next round.
Garmey will want his team’s success in the cup to translate to their league form as they travel to Belle Vue this Friday night to play Rhyl hoping to win and move away from the lower reaches of the league table.
Hotspur on the front foot in early stages and went ahead after just 3 minutes when Dean Garmey’s flag kick on the left was judged perfectly reaching Tomos Clarke at the far post and his flighted header looped over everyone and landed in the far corner of the net. The visitors looked lively up front with some passages of keeping the ball but from a good position Kyle Jones shot straight at Hotspur keeper Carl Jones. Just after the influential Dan Mc Ginness was severly injured in a heavy dubious tackle and had to be replaced with the young Harry Lewis. On 13 another Dean Garmey corner was headed just wide by Caio Hywel. The Corwen side were quick on the break but the Hotspur defence was alert to the threat to stop them getting too many scoring opportunities as the half wore on. With the elements in their favour Hotspur notched a much needed second goal on 41 minutes when Kenleigh Owen on the left put over a searching cross into the goalmouth and the ever alert Mel Mc Ginness glanced a fine header past Corwen keeper Dylan Jones. Half Time 2 – 0
With the visitors having the wind at their backs Hotspur knew it was by no means over and Corwen reduced the arrears after just four minutes on 49. Lively play saw the ball run to Sam Henry who although challenged by Carl Jones evaded the home keeper a slotted home to make it 2 -1. On the hour Jones made a superb one handed save high to his right side to stop Scott Evans drawing Corwen level. It proved even more important 5 minutes later when Hotspur when Hotspur regained their two goal advantage. Marc Evans in his own half produced some slick work via a one/two taking the ball into Corwen’s penalty box and crossing a great ball to the far post where Aron Hughes Jones on his debut rifled home to make it 3 -1. Still battling away the Corwen side got a penalty when Caio Hywel was judged to have infringed Iorweth Jones in the box and Sam Henry fired the ball home from the spot.
The game was still in the balance with both teams fighting for an advantage but with minutes to go on 89 a Dean Garmey free kick on the right found Marc Evans who showed great ability. With his back to goal he turned his defender and coolly and superbly shot over the keeper to the far post and Hotspur’s fourth and decisive goal.
Gareth M Davies
Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 20, Oct 2018