Fri 07
Bangor City
First Team
J Littlemore (60')


Share via

Bangor City v Holyhead Hotspur Friday 7th December, 2018

Holyhead Hotspur’s good run of cup success this season despite poor league form
caught up with them at Nant Porth on Friday night in this third round Welsh Cup
tie against hosts Bangor City as despite a positive start and commitment
throughout a superior Citizens side controlled a large percentage of the game and
forged ahead just before the break and added three more in the second half to
press home an emphatic win.
It was only after going three nil down just after the hour that anything other than
a home win was on the cards that Hotspur finally adjusted with two substitutions
and pulled a goal back just after and if scorer John Littlemore had taken another
rare opportunity it may have put pressure on the hosts, however the best goal of
the game by Rob Parry put paid to any hopes of a sting in the tail!
A large following from Holy Island turned up and were disappointed that Darren
Garmey’s side had not made a better fist of it bur sadly their league form came
back to haunt them.
Hotspur will need to get back on track hopefully this coming weekend when
Ruthin Town visit for the third time this season Hotspur previously winning
League Cup and Welsh Cup fixtures. The following Saturday we host Conwy
Borough and maximum points is needed from both matches so we can pull away
from the basement places in the league sooner rather than later.
Hotspur first to show but a shot from Bangor flew over the bar at the other end
while Rob Parry nearly got through the Hotspur defence. It took a fine tackle by
Alex Jones to deny Les Davies as he broke into a dangerous situation but Hotspur
at this point were coping well with the Bangor attacks. However Bangor began to
take control mid field and on 25 Hotspur keeper young Dan Williams did very well
to cut out a dangerous cross from the right by Jake Phillips who was given far too
match room all match and was the default man in building up Bangor’s attacks.
Bangor now dictating matters but not scoring as Hotspur’s defence stood firm. A
goal had to come and it did on 40 a long cross from the left reached Alex
Darlington at the far post who too easily lost his defender and slotted home. Two
minutes later Williams saved well from Les Davies and thankfully Davies shot the
rebound wide

Half Time 1 -0

Hotspur needed to up their game but just after the start it was Alex Jones who
denied Parry with Bangor continuing to be on the front foot and on 56 the hosts
were two up when Alex Darlington’s innocuous shot somehow evaded Williams’s
dive. Parry curled a great effort wide on 59 but a minute later it was 3 – 0 when
he picked up from poor defending and shot home. Two belated substitutions took
place and this revitalized Hotspur and a fine free kick was headed across goal by
Alex Jones for John Littlemore to prod home. A minute later the same player was
in on goal but could not successfully chest the effort to make it two for Hotspur.
Bangor’s fourth goal came on 76 when great work by Les Davies on the left gave
Parry an opportunity from 20 yards and he rifled the ball home with no Hotspur
defender anywhere near him to close him down.

Gareth M Davies

Share via

Match details

Match date

Fri 07, Dec 2018